Friday, April 17, 2009

John Waters Was Inspired By My Dad

Triple-X memories on York Road helped inspire 'A Dirty Shame'

John Waters mentioned my dad, Ronald Freedman, in a September 19, 2004 Baltimore Sun article by Chris Kaltenbach ("Waters' latest: sex by pseudonym") about his film A Dirty Shame. My dad used to manage the Rex Theater.
A Dirty Shame is a tale of marauding sex addicts who wage a pitched battle against the morally upright citizens of Harford Road. It's also a celebration of sexual rapaciousness, sexual perversity, sexual obsessions ... in fact, just about everything sexual, except the sex act itself (which, despite the film's NC-17 rating, is never actually shown).

To director John Waters, it's just like the old days on York Road, back at Baltimore's Rex Theatre, a longtime XXX stalwart of the local sexploitation scene .

"When I was growing up," Waters says, "I was going to the foreign art films, I was going to the independent movies, but I also went to the Rex. All these things were kind of a big influence on me."

Over the phone, Waters even pretends to get teary-eyed at the memories. "I used to sit down with Ronald Freedman, the owner of the Rex, and he'd pull out this old scrapbook of Rex memorabilia. It just made me so nostalgic!"

No comments: